A pregnant woman’s guide to minimizing stress & optimizing resilience in her transition to mothering.
Wanting to feel ready for the arrival of your new baby but feeling overcome with stress or anxiety with all there is to learn & do?
Wondering what those early weeks & months will REALLY look & feel like for you?
Sorting through loads of information – about postpartum healing, breastfeeding, infant sleep – and feeling overwhelmed with all of the perspectives?
Or maybe you’ve been so focused on preparing for labour & birth, that what’s to come afterwards hasn’t even crossed your mind?
I’ve been there.
Growing up, I learned about planning – a tool that created structure on the path into the unknown, towards my goals and dreams.
In order to succeed, in order to reach a goal, I must learn everything I can about the steps required to reach it. I must lay out a map of how to get there and then follow that map to its destination. Easy. Right?
It worked. It worked for processes in which I had a large amount of control. It worked for processes that had a specific, linear structure. It worked ~ pretty well ~ until I embarked on my transition into motherhood.
While I was pregnant, I followed what was successful for me in the past:
I set the goal: I want to be the best mother I can be.
I gathered everything I’d learned in school and in my naturopathic practice about having a healthy pregnancy, labour and birth and about healing postpartum and getting started with breastfeeding. And, I sought more learning.
I laid out the plan. In this case, it was my birth intention. (I couldn’t bear to call it a plan, because deep down, I knew this process couldn’t be planned.) I really wanted to give our baby the best start possible ~ a natural birth and breastfeeding were priorities.
And, in the midst of it all, I sensed a craving for more. I’d done a lot of learning.
My brain felt full but I still didn’t feel ready.
I didn’t feel ready, because while I knew a lot about pregnancy, labour, birth and breastfeeding from a physical and medical perspective, I didn’t know what that journey would look like for me.
I was stepping into the unknown, into a process that I could prepare for but couldn’t control. And, with that realization came fear.
Fear is definitely not comfortable, but awareness of the fear lets us choose how to address it.
I reached out for support & guidance & turned the journey of preparation inward. The fear was asking me to reconnect with what’s true & wise, within me. And that wisdom, I’ve come to learn is within each one of us.
We all have a quiet voice within. There are many names for it – intuition, soul voice, inner knowing, inner wise woman… – it doesn’t matter so much what we call it but that we have a way of connecting with it & tuning in to what it has to tell us. This connection provides a beautiful foundation for cultivating our mothering resilience – our ability to adapt to the events of our life.
Too often I’ve heard from new mothers that no one & nothing truly prepared them for everything that they encountered after baby arrived – the extent of sleep deprivation, the challenges with breastfeeding (despite it being a natural process), the extent to which mood can shift, the unpredictability of the day to day – they still felt in the dark about some aspects of their experience.
All of the information they were encountering online, in books & from well intended family & friends was overwhelming, sometimes to the point of triggering anxiety.
They’re losing sleep (even when their babies are sleeping well).
Their minds are constantly racing, trying to figure things out.
They’re depleted & exhausted.
Enlighten Postpartum is designed for pregnant women looking for clear, reliable information about early postpartum (AKA the fourth trimester), along with support for nourishing their connection with the wisdom within.
It’s intention is to bring so much of what we don’t talk about,
what we don’t truly prepare new mothers for, into the light.
I want you to experience calm, connection & confidence during the first year of your child’s life & beyond.
I want you to have tools & resources for finding reliable information, from sources outside of you & from your wisest source within.
I want you to feel resilient, nourished & supported.
This four week prenatal program provides:
- guidance for connecting within & creating your mothering intention
- an exploration of practices for nourishing the connection with your inner wisdom – every day – as a deeper approach to self care
- discussion about comfort measures for labour & birth (Much of our postpartum experience is connected with our labour & birth experience!)
- options for supporting your postpartum healing
(No matter how your labour & birth unfolds or how your baby arrives in this world, I want you to have some tools & resources for healing.)
- preparation for breastfeeding & strategies for preventing & addressing common challenges in the early days & weeks
- a deeper understanding of normal infant sleep – how it naturally develops & how you can support your health & energy, no matter how your baby is sleeping
Participants in Enlighten Postpartum will gather weekly, for two hours to connect, learn & prepare.
- your unique inner wisdom. There will be opportunities to explore & experience practices in our group sessions & you’ll be encouraged to integrate them into your life between sessions
- reliable information
- a group of mothers in our community
- embracing the unknown
- common challenges
- postpartum healing
- normal infant sleep
With your registration you’ll receive:
- Four, 2-hour, live, online, group sessions + handouts (notes & resources)
- Access to a private group chat, within the program page (for questions that come up between sessions & for supporting one another to integrate you’re learning)
- The Labyrinth Meditation for Mothers Package
- Create Your Mothering Intention Workbook
- Dr. Sarah’s Postpartum Recipe Book (filled with nourishing recipes you can prep ahead of time & fill your freezer or ask friends & family to make for you in the early days & weeks)
The Winter 2020 program is now open!
Early Bird Discount ~ 20% off registration fee ($50 in savings!) applicable until January 13, 2020 at 11:59pm with coupon code ‘EarlyBirdJan2020‘
We begin on Tuesday, January 21, 2020.